Didn't It Rain

Periodic Rants of a Red-Haired Drama Freak.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Welsh Rarebit, the Rosetta Stone and Peter Pan



Today has been totally great. We woke up late and had a morning of imagined European holidays. There's a slight chance we might be going to Camelot when Keala gets here. Hilarious! Lunch was at the pub called Island Queen. I went for something called Welsh rarebit which I never would have braved if I didn't check with Pie first. It sounds awful but it's actually just melted cheese on french bread with salad. It was really good and plain. We also had shandies (sprite and beer) so it was a lovely brunch.

I decided to split off on my own today and headed for the British Museum. Lesley and I unfortunately never made it there and I knew it was top on my list. Made it there without too much confusion and wallowed in the all-out freeness of it. So free in fact that I filched a postcard. I figure England owes me! Flipping $4 water and all... Anyway, I saw a lot of neat stuff in the Egyptian Wing including real mummies and the actual Rosetta Stone. Apparently the Rosetta Stone is the reason why some people were able to figure out a bunch of ancient texts. It was pretty creepy looking.



Then I saw this insanely cool stone plaque from Mesopotamia called the Queen of the Night. This is like thousands of years old. She's really scary looking and the rumor is it might also be a depiction of Lilith, wife of the devil, or something like that. Anyway, I love the owls and want this as my back tattoo.



After the museum saturation set it, I took the train to Hyde Park. It's incredibly huge and very beautiful. Apparently, it was provided to the city by Prince Albert or someone and is the model for all European parks. It was very green and beautiful. In fact, London in general is very green which is a nice change from New York. There's a cute little statue of Peter Pan there. I sat on a bench at the park and read for school, then came home when the storm clouds started to blow in.

Pie fixed spaghetti and it was very yummy. Then we just chilled and watched tv. Tonight I need to keep reading these blasted school books. Til tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home