Didn't It Rain

Periodic Rants of a Red-Haired Drama Freak.

Friday, June 15, 2007

It's Weird To Be Back

Coming back to New York after being in Arkansas for a week is rather a shock to the system. In fact, it's almost more of a culture shock than it was going to Arkansas. Well, maybe not. Don't get me wrong, I do love New York, but my love for it is complicated. Basically, our relationship has been rocky and I don't know if it's gonna last. Know what I mean?

The thing about New York is that it's hard to live here - plain and simple. It is actually difficult, and I've never experienced that before. Even just walking down the street is difficult because you have to be alert so you don't run into people. Taking the subway is difficult if you're new because when you get out of the train, you don't know which exit to take. Also the weather! - don't get me started. To use a cliche, New York chews you up and spits you out. But they also say that if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere. I always thought that lyric referred to "making it" as in getting famous, but now I realize I was wrong. It means if you can make it, survive without cracking up or running away, you can live anywhere in the world because this is it baby.

New Yorkers love their city and I think it's because of the sense of accomplishment they get from being a resident. They ooze bravado, like, yeah that's right I totally live here. And I'm starting to feel it, too. Gone are the days when I cry on the subway, the times when I think this place is killing me. Now I have moments of pride, of feeling happy that yes, I too live here.

They say that it takes a year to "get used" to living in New York. That only then are you allowed to have an informed opinion of it. That year anniversary is coming up in August. So until then I'll just stick to my stock answer when people ask me if I like New York. "Yeah, kinda, it's intense, but sometimes I really love it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home