Didn't It Rain

Periodic Rants of a Red-Haired Drama Freak.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Back in New York

We made it back last night at about 10:30 after two delayed flights. Our second one was delayed for almost two hours but I guess they hauled ass because we made it from Chicago to New York in less than two hours. The flights were pretty uneventful other than that. Small plane from Tulsa - but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Flying into LaGuardia gives you a great view of the Manhattan skyline. The plan travels up the east river before landing and you can see the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building, and (if I had binoculars) our house! It was a pretty amazing sight after all that empty space in Arkansas. Taking the E line back into the city was like seeing an old friend. And when we stepped out into our wacky neighborhood, I felt relieved to be home.

A lot of people asked us during this trip if we are going to stay in New York. In fact, I think just about everyone asked us that. My stock answer is that I want to teach in New York for at least a year and then we'll see. There was a time when we were considering moving to Fayetteville so we could buy an old house and settle in like normal people. We are also seriously considering moving back to the Bay Area. After this trip we pretty much realized that Arkansas is out. It's a nice place to visit, but for us being who we are, we just couldn't handle living there. It's beautiful and my whole family is there, but it's just too stressful for a couple of lesbians from the big city. I don't think we'd ever feel comfortable. So now we're down to New York and the Bay Area and a shared dream about retiring in New Orleans, but that's a long time from now. And that's that.

I slept like the dead last night, and I think Lesley did too. It's good to be back in our own bed with our city noise out the window and our cat climbing all over us. But I leave for London on Tuesday, so I better enjoy every moment before it's time to ramble on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home