Didn't It Rain

Periodic Rants of a Red-Haired Drama Freak.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Marc Almond, Joan Jett and a brass band

Pie and I had lots of fun today jaunting all over the city. After some yummy coffee at home (with lots of milk and sugar) we head out for the bus to the South Bank. it was a great and quick ride filled with lots of sights including st. patricks or something cathedral. We also rode by where I'm going to be living starting Sunday and it looked like a very cool area with lots of cute restaurants and things on this one street. Very close to Pie's house and close to Soho.

When we got to the South Bank, we walked it for a while and then crossed the Millenium Bridge into the Embankment area. Decided we were hungry so got a bagel with tuna and headed for this little park we saw. When we walked in, we realized we were just in time for the big brass band to begin a lunchtime concert. Here comes the funny part. The band was from Oklahoma!! I just friggin' left that rathole! ha ha. They played a medley of Oklahoma tunes while Pie and I lounged on deck chairs and ate tuna sammies. It was perfectly weird and a great welcome wagon into London.

After that we went walking through Soho and did some shopping. We stumbled into this store that sells this British indie brand called Lazy Oaf that I love. Lesley - remember the sweatshirt I bought last time we where here - it's that guys stuff! Weird coincidence number two, now that I think about it. I bought some shoes a this really cool shoe store called The Office. The look like Japanese Keds or something - very hipster and nerdy at the same time. I'm totally over black Converse. Let it be known.

At that point it was time for a beer so we were walking down Compton Street (I think) and Pie pointed out a place called Admiral Duncan. Apparently it was the sight of a bombing back in the 90s by some homophobic freak. Like 50 people were killed. I said that made me thirsty (just kidding) but figured I might as well go into the historic pub no matter how run of the mill it really was. As we were gazing out the window and looking at this freakazoid guy with his shirt off in the entryway, who comes round to talk to him but Marc Almond. I had JUST looked at his picture in the gay weekly I was browsing not two minutes before and there he was in the flesh. Third weird coincidence! Marc proceeds to chat this guy up who me and Pie decided HAD to be a rent boy. He even got his phone number. It was too much. And Marc Almond isn't looking too good, by the way. He looked very ... stretched.

Later on after some Japanese food we were back at the house watching tv. I made Pie put on that show Crossing Over with John Edwards cuz I hadn't seen it in years. Well who was there for a special reading? Joan freaking Jett, that's who. We nearly died when we saw her. She was trying to contact her recently deceased dog which I know is not funny but really it was just so intense. Rather. Unfortch the pooch did not make contact, only her friend's dead sister did. Them's the breaks, Joan.

It's now way past time to go to bed. Tomorrow I will take pictures - I don't know why I was such loser today. Guess I was trying to look like a local or something.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home