Didn't It Rain

Periodic Rants of a Red-Haired Drama Freak.

Friday, April 27, 2007

A String of Good Luck

Some really cool things have been happening lately and I want to tell you about them. Not that I want to jinx it, so let's say i'm knocking on the proverbial wood here in cyberspace.

The coolest thing to happen in the last 24 hours is that me and Lesley found a stereo. A little history: we moved here in August with practically nothing - just books and clothes and a one-eyed cat. Since then, we've been slowly amassing the furniture and things that we need and want. Being bona fide music freaks, we have wanted a stereo this whole time and yet the priority was more for things like a bed and a couch. When the money ran out we didn't end up buying a stereo and I've been dreaming of one ever since. Last night Lesley was doing laundry in the basement and she noticed someone threw away an old one. She mentioned it to me and I ran downstairs and low and behold, it was like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I'm not talking about some crappy boombox or an Aiwa mini-system. This is a stereo receiver with multiple inputs and a 5 disc changer - both Sony products. PLUS two really nice Infinity speakers! I could not believe it!! The only thing was, it was all really dirty, so I took it upstairs, cleaned it all off and plugged it in expecting it not to work. But it did! And now we have a kick ass stereo system FOR FREE. It's really the best thing we've ever found. My mom said one man's trash is another man's treasure. This is even better than the couch we found on the street in Berkeley. Or the hand made lamp.

Another cool thing that happened is that although I left my precious notebook with all my schoolwork in an NYU classroom, I got it back. Today I tracked it down and it was still in the room. This was such a great relief to me because I really need that stuff. It's shocking that it didn't get thrown away.

Also, my student loan crap is working itself out. Meaning I can go to London and Brazil for sure. I just have to work out a couple of kinks. Like getting money to live on. I feared they wouldn't give me any stafford loans but thankfully they were happy to loan me even more money. Ha!

The other cool thing is my tax return came in. There was some kind of snafu with TurboTax and they are refunding the money I spent on their website. I guess a lot of people had problems with the website (because thousands of people like me waited till the last second) and so they had to refund all of us. That's so great because I spent a hundred bucks but now I get it back. Ha ha!

These are pretty much the highlights. I feel that a wave of positive thinking has helped me get things done and now I'm seeing the rewards. I only have one more paper to write for school which shouldn't be too bad. Then it's summer time and off to new adventures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home