Didn't It Rain

Periodic Rants of a Red-Haired Drama Freak.

Monday, December 05, 2005

Old White Men


This posting is about some of the old white men that I happen to love. First of all, Mr. Ralph Stanley - probably the most recognizable voice in bluegrass history. I love bluegrass, and Stanley's voice is haunting, and embodies the term "high lonesome." He also invented a new type of banjo picking that he called the claw hammer style. His early recordings with his brother - as the Stanley Brothers - are as fun as they are tragic, as moody as they are romping. For some reason, I can handle fiercly religious music if it's set to the tune of hillbilly. It must be the vibe of my ancestors. Stanley is getting on in years now, and it is one of my goals for 2006 to see him live before he passes on.



Also, I know it's a little popular to say this right now, but who in their right mind doesn't love Johnny Cash? If you haven't seen Walk the Line yet, make it a priority. Listening to Johnny Cash reminds me of my dad and grandfather sitting in the kitchen with their cups of disgusting tobacco remnants talking about what they should plant in the garden this year.

Other old white men I like are Kenny Rogers - hello, he's The Gambler - and dudes like Paul McCartney, Pete Townsend, and well, my dad. But we are all very very lucky that he agrees not to sing in public.
-L

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home