Didn't It Rain

Periodic Rants of a Red-Haired Drama Freak.

Monday, May 15, 2006

NYC HERE WE COME!!!


Hey, y'all! I got into NYU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's right, me and my better half will be moving to the other coast at the end of the summer just in time to begin my new career as a grad student. I will spend two blissful years putting off the real world while completing my masters in educational theatre. NYU has the best program for me and I'm honored and thrilled to have been accepted. Take that, Columbia!!!
We are, of course, a little bit scared of the big apple. It's so much bigger than SF. 8 million people is quite a lot more than 1 million. But then again, the town I grew up in was only 70,000, so bring it on.
I always thought/hoped I'd live in New York, ever since high school. I visited there with my theatre class (nerdy) and fell into a weird emotional state. I was totally in love and yet felt completely overwhelmed. From Arkansas to NYC seemed like worlds away, and I never thought I would actually be able to live there. Well, several (lots of) years later, here we are about to make the big move!
I never thought/hoped I'd live in California. I always hated the idea of it. It just seemed so plastic and obnoxiously sunny. Little did I know that San Francisco is neither of those two, and I have come to feel like SF is my home. I am so lucky to have lived here for so many reasons, not the least -- meeting Lesley.
I've been wondering what I'll say when people ask me where I'm from. Will I say Arkansas (like I do now) or will I say San Francisco? I've lived here for 7 years now, but I'm not sure if that length of time qualifies me as "from here". On the other hand, I never felt at home in Arkansas and San Francisco has been good to me. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how I feel in NYC.
There will be a big party before we leave where beers will be drunk and tears will be shed. Then it's on to new adventures, and I hope the best times of my life!
-ppoypp

1 Comments:

Blogger andipie said...

boo hoo hoo!! yeah yeah yeah! boo hoo hoo!!! yipee yipee yipee!! i have such mixed feelings about all of this. i don't know about moving to "have the best times of my life". what are we? chopped liver??

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home